Tuesday, June 2, 2009

May Goal Status

Giraffes standing

Oh, hey, blog. Remember me? The prodigal daughter? I'm sorry I've been so neglectful this month. The day job has kept me soooo busy that by the time I get home at night, the last thing I want to do is turn on my computer or sewing machine. This is really the first time I've felt this way; crafting is usually a release for me, and very relaxing. But for some reason this month, I kept shying away from it, preferring instead the brand of escapism offered by books and movies.

At least I take comfort in knowing that I'm not alone. I know many small business owners go through similar phases. So to those who have been in this position before: Got any tips? How do you manage to stay focused and productive on your small business when life and your day job have you feeling overwhelmed? How do you motivate yourself through these slumps?

So, as I'm sure you've surmised by now from my lame excuses, er, lengthy intro, I didn't do so well with my goals this month. Let's recap, shall we?


  1. Build a light tent/portable studio. Status: Partially complete.
    I made the box itself, using Drawing in Motion's awesome tutorial to make a 20" x 30" box. All that remains is for me to purchase some clamp lights. At least we've been having perfect weather, and the longer days mean I can always squeeze in an outdoor photo shoot when I get home from the day job.

  2. Sit down with an accountant/tax advisor and talk about best practices. Solicit advice about accounting software. Status: Incomplete.
    Unfortunately, I never made an appointment due to my hectic schedule this month. This will be on June's goal list for sure!

  3. Make 6 pieces of inventory; 3 for the Etsy shop, and 3 to start a
    stockpile of readily available inventory. Status: Partially complete.
    I completed 2 pieces for my Etsy shop and 2 pieces for my stockpile. A third piece is cut out and partially sewn. And I have a crafty lunch break scheduled later this week with my friend Isara, so that will help.

    Total accomplished: 1 (two halves) / 3.



I'm a little embarrassed by my progress this month. And even though June is threatening to be even busier month—with weddings and
baby showers and an out-of-town trip already on the calendar—I remain hopeful that I will accomplish more of my goals in June.



5 comments:

Cristin said...

I'm one of those desk job people! I work 8-5, M-F, then come home and try to make dinner, quilt, sew, take photos, blog, update Etsy shop... and not ignore my husband, all at the same time! And we don't even have kids yet! ;-) Slow and steady wins the race... just do a LITTLE each night... and LOTS on the weekends. We can do it!

Jessica Puckett said...

Thanks for the support, Cristin! I definitely have harelike tendencies, and need to remind myself to be more like the rabbit, because you're right, even the little things count!

Angie said...

Hey, you're batting .333! Not bad. I think this is a healthy lesson in life-work balance. If we learn to make goals that are realistic, we won't get down when we can't "do it all". Then it will be easier to take on the day to day challenges of life and work. Great job and best of luck with your June goals!

Jessica Puckett said...

Ha ha! Good point, Angie! If I think in baseball terms, I'm not doing so bad. :) And you're absolutely right about the healthy lesson. It can be just a little painful/disappointing at times to admit that I'm not the superwoman I wish I was!

Liz said...

I think we all have a tendency to be a little down on ourselves when we don't accomplish everything on our list, but as Angie says it is about balance. For me, more than anything the lists and posting to a group keep me focused and accountable, which is wonderful. I also realise how many other little things come up every month that were not on the list that end up needing to be done because I am doing some other thing... it's funny like that.
Thanks for your visit and your comments about my writing, I've been working hard to improve the writing thing