Monday, January 17, 2011

I Want Candy

This weekend, the first ever Plush Team group show opens at Hot*Pop in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The show's theme is Candyland, which we were all allowed to interpret any way we saw fit.


For some reason, the very first thing that came to mind when I heard the theme was "Candy Mountain, Charlie! Charrrrrrlieeeeeee." If you're not familiar, go watch the video first, then look at the plush version I created below.


Candy Mountain
Candy Mountain Detail I painstakingly sculpted out of Fimo all the candy pieces for Candy Mountain. The lollipops were so much fun to make! Aside from that, I must admit that it was a bit of a pain in the arse to make such tiny candy pieces out of clay, and an even bigger pain to attach them all to the mountain. But it was well worth it, I think. I love the way candy mountain turned out.
I also love the way Charlie the Unicorn turned out, though I wish I had made Candy Mountain to scale.
Charlie the Unicorn at Candy MountainThe best part about Charlie is that if you turn him around, he bears the scar from his kidney removal, just like at the end of the video!
Charlie's Kidney is Stolen
The second piece I made for the show is Grandma Sugarsweet: Grandma Sugarsweet Plush dollForget about eating your broccoli. This "sweet" old lady caters only to your sweet tooth. Eat your sugar, dearie!


Again, the candy pieces, as well as Grandma's tray, were sculpted from Fimo. The candy ribbons were fun to make also. My grandpa always had a tin of these by his chair when I was growing up. 
candy on a tray Grandma Sugarsweet hits the candy a bit too hard, I think. She's always got a stray lolli or cane stuck to her!
sticky grandma sugarsweet plushieAnd finally, my favorite piece, the Gingerbread Zombie (or as I like to call him, Gingerzombie, because it makes me giggle): gingerbread zombie plushie gingerbread zombie plushie gingerbread zombie plushie
The show opens Friday, January 21 and runs through March 20. So if you're in or near Milwaukee, make sure you pop in and see the show! Many talented plush creators contributed awesome designs to the show.







4 comments:

emily b said...

I love them! Can't wait to see them in person! Will you be there?

Jessica said...

Thanks, Emily! Sadly, no, I will not be able to come to the opening. :( Please take lots of pictures for those of us that can't make it!

Moxie said...

So great! I love the kidney detail... You slay me!

Jessica said...

Aw, shucks, Moxie. What a coincidence, because YOU slay ME. :)
Thanks for visiting!