Monday, January 4, 2010

Hello, New Year or, Where Does the Time Go?

IMG_4224
Happy 2010, everyone! I can't believe how quickly the time flies. I say it all the time, but it really does. Hope you all had a fabulous holiday season and are looking forward to the coming new year; I know I am! 



I could recap the year, but I think you all know what I've done and how far Plushroom Soup has come in its first year. It's been a fantastic journey so far, and I couldn't do it without all of you. Really and truly, I appreciate each and every one of you. I may not always respond to every comment on the blog, but I do read and cherish every single one. Thank you for your support and for being awesome!



I have a lot of exciting plans for the coming months, and two really big ideas that I hope to bring to fruition. Right now they're just tiny seeds, and I'll share more when they've had time to mature.



Three things I really hope to focus on in 2010 are balance, better marketing, and better blogging.



After No Coast was over, I took a completely unintended four-week break from the business. I did a lot of stuff for just me; I read many books, finished knitting a project that had been on the needles for two years (!), taught my dogs new tricks, listened to a lot of new music, had much restful quiet time, laughed with family and friends. My time away told me that I really need to find a good balance between personal crafting and business crafting throughout the year, so as not to binge-break at the end of it. 



As for marketing, I hope to introduce Plushroom Soup to a wider audience this year, meaning a larger presence online as well as selling in more retail stores.



And the blog? Well, we all know I'm not the most prolific blogger. And I still struggle with my words and how to best express them. So I hope to blog more often and make the content more meaningful for you. So here's the part that's all about you!




  • What type of posts and features would you like to see on the blog regularly?


  • Interviews with plush artists?

  • Art reviews?

  • Technique discussions and tutorials? What type?


  • More information about the person behind the business?


  • My inspirations.

  • Non-crafty things I like.

  • Wardrobe remixes.

  • Random snapshots of my daily life.


  • What would you really like to see Plushroom Soup create this year?


  • More of a specific animal? Which one?

  • New types of animals? Which ones?

  • New mythological creatures? Which ones?

  • More patterns? Of which critters?

  • A whole new product line altogether? What should it be?


  • What do you hope to never see from Plushroom Soup again?


  • Any animals or patterns I should retire?

  • Any types of blog posts or features I currently have that you think I should discontinue?



These are just a few questions to get you started. Please share any feedback you have in the comments section below. I want to hear your thoughts!

6 comments:

Cyn said...

I'd love to see more of your process -- how you make those cool plushies! Video?

Jessica said...

Thanks for the feedback, Cyn! I definitely plan to show some technique vids or photo-tutorials in the next year. . . . Just gotta make the time (and see if I can figure out video!).

Cindy Lindgren said...

I'm a fan of your Yeti and the Zombie Giraffe creatures and want to see more 'cousins' to them. Using magnets to attach or move limbs can be expanded upon in a fun way, too. Or maybe create a new hybrid creature and make up a story of how it came to be...would be fun. I look forward to see what you come up with!

Jessica said...

Thanks for your feedback, Cindy! I definitely plan to create more zombies this year, and I've also been thinking of more yeti/bigfoot possibilities. Stay tuned! :)

Amy said...

Hi Jessica!
I really enjoy your goal posts that you do monthly. I think it's interesting to see what you plan on doing, and how they work (or don't work sometimes) for you each month. It's a neat glimpse into your thinking/creative/business process.
I also would like to see more mythological creatures, as those were my favorites. Maybe some unconventional myth-monsters, or newer ones, too? ie Cthulu, anything from D&D, you know - to celebrate all things geeky?
Also - I thought you did a really good job on your Tweedle Dee and Dum. Maybe more human-ish creations?

Jessica said...

Thanks, Amy! I definitely plan to keep the goal posts coming (eep--really behind this month!), and I surely hope to create more mythological creatures this year. I've had one in particular cooking for a while, so it's just a matter of starting the work on it.
I had so much fun making the Tweedles, too. I had never done anything human before, so it definitely stretched me as an artist and made me start thinking more about humnanlike creatures. . . .