Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Plush Team Mythology Challenge

The Plush Team periodically hosts challenges centered around a specific theme. The latest challenge theme was world mythology; I couldn't have asked for a better theme for my first challenge! The challenge went live today, and boy is everyone's work amazing! I don't know about you, but I'm going to have an awful hard time voting for my favorite.

I entered my kelpie:

IMG_5142 

Kelpie
I named him Merric, which is Gaelic for "ruler of the sea."
Kelpies are sea monsters from Celtic folklore. Known to appear on land
as beautiful horses, kelpies lure people, especially children, onto
their backs. Having lured a rider, the kelpie's skin becomes adhesive
and escape is impossible. The kelpie returns to the sea and drowns and
devours its rider, eating all but the heart or liver.



I made Merric out of suede with a mohair mane and acrylic safety eyes. I gave Merric's tail
and mane a thin coating of pearlescent acrylic that glimmers in the
sun, and his arms are jointed for posability. Merric's stand is pine with acrylic
paint.

I originally intended to enter my newest dragon (below), but decided the kelpie was more interesting.

IMG_5116
Here's a sneak peek at just a few of the other amazing entries:

4512239795_feb3d058c6 Argus. Image © BeBe Babies and Friends.

4503446737_3c637286e8 Icarus. Image © Plush Goodness.

4476838013_7265234466 Ceiling Cat. Image © Yummy Pancake.

Head over to the Plush Team blog to cast your vote now! Pretty please?



No comments: