Thursday, July 9, 2009

Thoughtful Thursday - Creative Burst

As mentioned in my July Goals post, I always have tons of ideas bouncing around in my head. I've been really energized lately about making these ideas a reality, and this week I started on two of them.


The first is a unicorn. Sure, I could've just thrown a horn on my existing horse pattern and called it good, but I wanted my unicorn to be less cutesy, more stately and elegant. So I started tweaking the pattern into a new shape—elongating the face and neck, narrowing the legs, and giving the creature a little more movement.


Unicorn_pieces


Once I have some workable pattern pieces, I sew up a prototype. I usually make my prototype out of a cheap muslin or flannel, but I thought it would give you a better picture of my process if I sewed this one in my usual fabrics.


Unicorn_proto


This is the part of pattern design that is always a little frustrating for me. I'm not a natural at drawing, so I go through a trial and error process before I can replicate what I see in my mind's eye. As you can see, I didn't get the legs quite right this time. So I've started pinning the legs into the shape I want, and I'll go back and tweak my pattern pieces accordingly.


Uniproto close
The head could also use a little more work; I'd like to shorten the snout just a tad. I'm really excited about the possibilities in this piece, though, and should have it finalized by the end of the month.


The other project I this week has been in the works for a long time; it was one of my original ideas when I decided to start Plushroom Soup. It's still very early in the planning stages, so I can only share this small sneak peek:


Secret_WIP


I wish I could share more with you, as I'm practically bursting trying to contain my excitement about this one. Stay tuned!


Last, I'll leave you with a screen capture of a treasury I'm featured in:


Picture 3


Many thanks to Harvest Moon by Hand for featuring my Ginger Pup along with all these other great MN artists!



1 comment:

Sherisa of L'elephant Rose said...

OMG what AWESOME unicorn hair! haha I love it. :)