Thursday, June 18, 2009

Thoughtful Thursday - Quick and Dirty Edition

It's been a hectic week, folks. Work is crazy busy, and I'm going out of town for a few days first thing tomorrow morning (I have to catch a 6 AM flight. Eeesh.). I'm sorry to leave you all with such a short post this week, but such is life.


Caterpillar


IMG_3056


Pretty amazing shots, right? I found both of these guys in my yard in the last few weeks. The top one got into a product shot, and I didn't even notice until I uploaded the photo to my computer. Pretty cool. The second photo was taken around dusk last night. This Mourning Cloak caterpillar (don't worry, I'm no budding entomologist; I Googled it) was hanging out next to the driveway when I got home. I had never seen one before and, nerd that I am, promptly went inside to grab my camera and start photographing. I love finding beauty in the mundane, in the small, simple things. And looking at my everyday surroundings through a camera lens somehow always opens me up to things I don't otherwise notice.


It's often all to easy to miss things going on in the natural world around us. The sun shines, rain falls, flowers grow and bloom and die, eggs hatch, insects and birds sing, critters forage for food, and so on— all of it happening daily without much notice. But when we take time to look and to see, it can be a pretty amazing thing. Nature is so simple and complex all at the same time. It can remind you just how big you can be, yet how small you really are. Which can really put things in perspective; no matter what happens in life, no matter what I create or fail to create, the Earth still rotates around the sun. Rain falls, flowers grow and bloom and die. And each day, I have a renewed chance to create something.


Kind of sappy, yes. But I think it's important to remind myself of these things, so I don't get discouraged by not crossing enough things of my to-do list, or not having something turn out exactly the way I saw it in my head. Each day I get to try again.



No comments: