Monday, September 19, 2011

Works in Progress

I'm entering into my second busiest time of year (second only to the frenzied activities leading up to No Coast each year): Plush You!, Halloween, and Dia de los Muertos.


I've always wanted to participate in a Dia de los Muertos show, and this year I finally have the opportunity to do so.


I was inspired by the wodden la catrina dolls common in Day of the Dead festivities, and immediately started picturing elegant plush versions.


DSC01818
I've drawn out the pattern, and selected a few fabrics.


Once I got started, though, I couldn't stop thinking about Game of Thrones (I've been reading the books and watching the HBO series). In the books, the author is consistently mentioning women wearing dresses with dagged sleeves. So I knew I had to incorporate them into my catrina.


DSC01823 Ready to turn right side out. The dagged sleeves are sitting under her arms.


And the Game of Thrones influence didn't stop there. I've also been simultaneously working on my Plush You! pieces: three fractured fairy tale dudes, all dressed in costumes inspired by the books, the show, and my general love of tudor/renaissance/medieval period dramas. Here's a sneak peek of all them sewn up, but not turned right side out yet:


DSC01857


Can you guess any of their identities? Here's a few hints:


DSC01888


DSC01897


DSC01861

I'll show you all four finished pieces later this week, and we'll see how many of you accurately guessed my Plush You! pieces. :)


 



1 comment:

Linda said...

What fantastic things you're making. It must be really difficult, but interesting, indeed. Hope you'll surprise us with your new inventions soon