Wednesday, December 29, 2010

On Loan

My poor sewing machine has gotten sick twice in the past two weeks. The first time I took her in, I was able to get her fixed on the spot. No such luck this last time. They think it will take at least 10 days to fix what ails her, so in the meantime I have a loaner:


DSC00762


And much like last time I needed a loaner (more than 2 years ago), I am not a happy camper. It's loud, shakes my whole sewing table while it sews, and it's not at all intuitive (and the instructional manual leaves a lot to be desired).Worst of all, it doesn't have the stitch I use most, the triple straight stitch, which makes me feel like I'm making inferior products.


It's so funny how we can get so attached to our tools, isn't it? My hardworking, over-abused Elna is my most important tool. For some of her faults, being without her just feels wrong. It has me considering investing in a cheaper backup machine. Do any of you have a backup machine? Any brands you'd recommend? What is your most important tool?



2 comments:

guitar lessons new york said...

Cool sewing machine! I remember using sewing machines in middle school that didn't have any of those sweet settings.

Ellen said...

both my whites inherited from my mom are nearly 50 years old, heavy duty steel, never break, & do anything & everything I need or want. True, they don't have any fancy electronics & can't o embroidery except the freehand guided version, but they've sewn clothes, toys, & household stuff for family & friends for decades.